Adrian Hallmark, Global Brand Director, Jaguar Cars
"The C-X16 is our compelling vision for a 21st century Jaguar sports car. It embodies the established Jaguar strengths of sensual design, animal-like agility and inspirational performance and combines these with attributes that set us on a course to create sustainable sports cars of the future."
The Jaguar C-X16 concept is a bold statement of Jaguar’s future design and technological intent.
The C-X16 takes the traditional front-engined, rear-wheel drive formula that Jaguar defined over the decades and reinvents it for the 21st Century in a performance-oriented hybrid drivetrain with 50:50 weight distribution.
The latest iteration of Jaguar's 'Redefining Performance' ethos, the C-X16 system is based on a prototype supercharged all-alloy V6 which produces 375HP (280kW) and 332lb-ft of torque from 3.0-liter V6. Supplementing this is an electric motor producing up to 94HP and 173lb–ft of torque, available to the driver at the push of a steering-wheel boost button.
Allied to an eight-speed gearbox and mounted in a lightweight aluminum chassis this allows the C-X16 to sprint to 62 mph (100 kmh) in 4.4 seconds.
The aluminum bodywork is wrapped as closely to these mechanicals as possible to distil the essence of Jaguar sports cars into the next evolution of an already award-winning design language. By stretching the main feature lines back from the focal point formed by the grille and pushing the wheels as far into the corners as possible, the car has a taut, poised-for-action stance that is unmistakably Jaguar.
The interior showcases important future technologies such as multimodal rotary controls that incorporate miniature OLED screens, which reconfigure to reflect the different functions that can be performed via the controls, all of which are designed for maximum compatibility between sports car needs and everyday usability.
An example of this is the full smartphone integration via the ‘Connect and View’ system by which the central touch-screen reconfigures to mimic the screen of a connected device. The central screen also features a second-generation interface with fingertip touch supplemented by buttons that provide short cuts to top-level menu functions.
The cabin is trimmed in the finest leather and Alcantara® micro-suede. As expected from Jaguar, premium materials are used throughout, with the main touch surfaces composed of a combination of anodized aluminum, rich piano blacks, dark chrome, and carbon fiber that underline the car’s performance potential. The manually-adjustable bucket seats are made of lightweight composite materials with a central carbon-fiber spine for rigidity and support.
- A concept 'One plus One' sports car that explores future performance hybrid options
- Seductive looks indicate the next evolution of Jaguar’s bold design direction
- Sensual shape is defined by three distinctive ‘heart lines’; front fender crease, rear haunches and sweeping roofline
- Driver-focused two-seater cabin trimmed in dramatic red leather
- Powered by an innovative supercharged 3.0-liter V6 producing 375HP (280kW) and 332 lb-ft of torque
- Specific power per liter is an impressive 125HP (93.3 kW)
- Experimental high-performance hybrid system boosts output by 94HP (70kW) and 173 lb-ft (235 Nm)
- Top speed of 186 mph, 0-62 mph in 4.4 seconds and roll-on 50-75 mph acceleration in 2.1 seconds
- Steering wheel-mounted ‘Push to Pass’ button controls the hybrid boost function
- Performance hybrid is inspired by the Limo-Green research project and C-X75 super car concept
- Aluminum construction maximizes torsional rigidity for sharper responses
- Eight-speed ZF® automatic transmission
- Intelligent Start/Stop for improved fuel economy
- Switchgear incorporates OLED displays into dual-function rotary controls
- New generation Jaguar touch screen with short-cut keys
- Advanced Climate Control employs an Intelligent Venting System
- Composite seats stiffened with a carbon-fiber central spine