TAKATA AIRBAG RECALL FOR 2009 – 2015 JAGUAR XF
What is the Takata recall about?
The Takata recall covers an industry-wide issue involving defective airbags supplied by Takata Corporation. The Takata airbag recall is the largest automotive recall in history. About 70 million US vehicles made by 33 different manufacturers from 2000–2017 are currently impacted.
If the defective airbag is triggered by a crash, the airbag can explode and shoot sharp metal fragments at people inside the car, causing serious injury or death.
Although no incidents have been reported in Jaguar vehicles to date, more than 20 deaths and hundreds of injuries have been recorded by other manufacturers.
We urge all drivers with affected vehicles to have these free recall repairs completed immediately for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.
Whom do I call to get this fixed?
Call your local Jaguar Retailer to schedule a FREE replacement of your passenger-side airbag. This replacement takes about two hours. Parts are in stock and readily available. Loaner vehicles are available to drivers during the replacement process, with free pick-up and drop-off services available through your local retailer.
You can locate an authorized Jaguar Retailer by using the following link or by contacting Jaguar using the contact information below.
What is Jaguar doing to get 100% of these cars repaired?
Jaguar has opened all recall groups ahead of the schedule mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We started repairs in March 2017 and have successfully completed the repair on approximately 90% of vehicles affected by this recall.
Accordingly, Jaguar has secured an adequate supply of replacement airbags to repair all vehicles.
In our pursuit to achieve 100% accountability for all affected Jaguar vehicles, Jaguar has implemented a multichannel outreach strategy, including:
· Customer Mailings – Beginning in 2017, all mandatory recall letters have been mailed on a monthly basis. Additionally, Jaguar has been mailing postcards each month to unrepaired-vehicle owners.
· Convenient Repair Services – Jaguar is encouraging repairs by making the replacement process as convenient as possible. During the two-hour repair, free loaner vehicles will be available for driver use, with pick-up and drop-off services available from your local retailer. Additionally, when you make your appointment ask your preferred authorized Jaguar Retailer if there are other incentives you may qualify for.
· Customer Contact Information - To improve the effectiveness of these reminders, Jaguar is pursuing ongoing strategies to update owner addresses and phone numbers.
· Email Outreach Campaign – Alternating months with the reminder postcards, Jaguar has sent more than 500,000 email reminders to unrepaired-vehicle owners.
· Retailer-led Outreach – Recognizing the importance of community engagement, Jaguar provides lists of unrepaired vehicles to our retailers, allowing them to reach out to our customers on a local level. We have provided retailers with lists containing more than 70,000 VINs in their local areas.
· Live-operator Phone Calls – Jaguar is personally contacting as many unrepaired-vehicle owners as possible via telephone to inform them of the free recall, explain the importance of the fix and schedule an appointment for the repair. These Takata operators are specialists able to handle Takata-related questions and to schedule a repair directly at a retailer; they have placed more than 100,000 calls.
· Remote Customer Assistance – Jaguar is working to aid customers who live in states without a Jaguar Retailer. Please call us if this is your situation.
· Salvage Airbag Recovery Program – Jaguar has implemented a retrieval program to identify and recover airbags from thousands of salvage and scrap vehicles.
· Used-vehicle Reseller Responsibility – Jaguar is encouraging processes with third-party sellers and auction websites to prevent the sale of vehicles with affected Takata airbags.
· Vehicle Exportation Information – We have searched customs and export databases to locate vehicles that have been shipped out of the US. If you have exported your vehicle, please call us and let us know.
What Jaguar Land Rover cars are affected?
Jaguar Land Rover has approximately 108,000 vehicles affected by the Takata recall, roughly split between two models:
2007-2012 Range Rover
2009-2015 Jaguar XF Sedan
To find out if your Jaguar Land Rover vehicle is affected by this recall, please enter your vehicle identification number (VIN) by following the link below:
· This recall does not affect the Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Evoque, or Range Rover Velar.
· No other Jaguar vehicles are included in this recall.
· Only the front passenger-side airbag is affected by this recall.
Is this repair free?
Yes. This recall is FREE. You will not be charged for this repair. This recall will be carried out completely free of charge and may be performed by any authorized Jaguar Retailer regardless of where the vehicle was purchased. Furthermore, check with your preferred authorized Jaguar Retailer to see what other incentives you qualify for.
I’ve moved or no longer own a Jaguar vehicle.
If you are no longer the owner of an affected vehicle, please let us know. Jaguar would also appreciate the name and address of the new owner.
What other cars are affected?
To find out if you, a family member or a friend has a vehicle containing a defective Takata airbag requiring a recall repair, please check the automobile’s VIN or license plate at the Airbag Recall website.
What should I do if I have further questions?
If you have any questions or need assistance in locating your nearest authorized Jaguar Retailer, please contact:
The Jaguar Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-452-4827
You may also contact us by email using the form linked below.
Please include your full name and address and the VIN of your automobile in your email.